Microsemi Corporation Principal Aerospace Power System Engineer in Garden Grove, California
The Discrete and Power Management (DPM) business unit is the power systems division of Microsemi Corporation and a leading designer and manufacturer of high performance power supplies, modules and power conversion systems. We have a key opening at our Garden Grove, California facility. Microsemi DPM takes the approach of providing complete sub-system level power solutions for our customers. Our primary market is in Space Systems and other high reliability mission critical applications. We see ourselves as partners to our customers and define and provide differentiated solutions that address system and sub-system level challenges. We place great emphasis on validated solutions that work right the first time.
The Principal Power Systems Engineer provides top leadership to drive our roadmap of new product development in the Space, Aviation and Military power conversion sectors. He/She will provide technical direction to our talented engineering staff, to ensure timely development of market competitive technologies and products.
- Define new technology roadmaps for future SPM power systems.
- Design electrical motor Power Drive Electronics (PDE) systems; understanding and considering sources, loads and standard space and aviation electrical power quality.
- Simulate the electrical behavior of the power drive electronics system.
- Design and implement power conversion electronics for Space, Aviation, and Military applications.
- Evaluate, design and implement the optimum power conversion topology to meet the application requirements.
- Analyze requirements for proposals, develop winning solution concepts and present results in a clear and convincing style in technical sections of proposals.
- Solve customer application problems and technical issues relating to power conversion.
- Support failure mode and effect analysis to identify components that pose excessive failure risks and propose appropriate mitigation design changes.
- Advise on designs to achieve compliance to requirements, reliability and manufacturability. Act as an independent reviewer on design compliance.
- Review engineering specifications and drawings, propose design modifications to improve reliability within cost and other performance requirements.
- Support new product proposals and proposals to modify existing products.
- Take on other engineering duties as required and assigned.
Support in-house training programs as required.
Electrical or Electronic Engineering degree required. BS and 10 years of experience, MS and 8 years or Phd and 6 years of experience.
- Proficient in electrical design analysis software.
- Experience in Space and / or Aviation power distribution system design.
- Proven experience developing and implementing product roadmaps for space and aviation.
- Candidate must have exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Candidate must have technical writing skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Requires the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Strong ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams and interface well with peers and management in a corporate setting.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Decision-making, problem resolution and resourceful thinking skills.
- Ability to multi-task across various tasks with shifting priorities.
- Highly energetic, motivated and prepared to take the initiative.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Some domestic and International travel required 0-10%
- This job requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by the export laws of the United States. Candidates are required to provide proof of either US citizenship, Permanent US residency or classification as a protected individual as defined in 8 USC 1324b (a) (3) IND123.
- MBA or equivalent desirable.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled